A forum for technical support discussion related to Fogbugz.
Now sure where to look for this problem. I didnt see anything obvious. I restarted fogbugz maintenance service/restarted our iis service. looked for obvious errors.
Applications that I have use bugzScout stuff and I just relized that over the last few days these messages are not coming thru (they were working).
I then realized that emails sent to our customer service account that gets logged into fogbugz is no longer working either (they remain sitting in the inbox/not getting sucked in).
Any suggestion where to look
For the email problem, start here:
and then follow the linked articles.
The BugzScout problem, I'm not sure about. The easiest way to debug that is to create an html form that posts to scoutsubmit.asp with the data your app is using and then see what scoutsubmit returns.
Also, maybe firewall changes or IP changes moved your server so this could be the cause of both problems.
i.e. if your server used to be named bugs, but is now support, then your app is still submitting bugzscout cases to bugs (which is no longer available) and the fogbugz maintainance url is still pointing to the bugs url so no emails are coming in.
I find that using the weblogs can be helpful when diagnosing BugScout issues. You may need to increase the amount of information tracked in the logs
I look for 200's to scoutsubmit.asp tp verify that the informations indeed being submitted.
Any other return would identify a problem
Friday, December 9, 2005
This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.Other recent topics