FogBugz Technical Support

A forum for technical support discussion related to Fogbugz.
The current FogBugz Knowledge Base can be found at http://help.fogcreek.com/fogbugz.

Posts by Fog Creek Employees are marked:

Documentation
Release Notes
Network Status

Bug in FogBugz?

Let me describe it:

A task was assigned to me. I estimated it to 1 hour, and I started working on it.

After about two minutes, I refreshed the task in browser (by clicking on the big task number). It was showing this info:
Estimated: 1 hour
Elapsed: 2 minutes
Remaining: 0.97 hours

Then, 30 minutes later, I noticed that it's going very slow and that I can not speed it up - so I decided to change the estimation. So, without refreshing the task page again, I click Edit, set the Estimated time to 2 hours.

What I got after this is a little surprising:
Original: 1 hour
Estimated: 2 hours
Elapsed: 2 minutes
Remaining: 1.97 hours

In other words, the 30 minutes, that I was already working on the task got lost somewhere between my refresh and edit.

If this is indeed a bug - I'd like to know how do I submit it.
Paulius Maruška Send private email
Monday, December 15, 2008
 
 
Paulius,
my guess is, that the page simply wasn't updated when you edited it. But even if you edit and save it, when you next open the case, the 30 minutes should be shown with the case. Did you try that, or is the time really lost?

Not updating the page for edit speeds things up. So this might be considered more a feature than a bug. ;-) Anyway, perhaps the developers want to comment on this?

Best regards,
Robin
Robin Schmidt Send private email
Monday, December 15, 2008
 
 
I think that you just don't have the "Working on" menu in the top right currently set to your case.

Refresh the page and check.  If you aren't using EBS, you have to manually apply the Elapsed values.
Michael H. Pryor Send private email
Monday, December 15, 2008
 
 
Robin, I did refresh the page (many times) by clicking on the case number. It kept showing the same thing.

Michael, I did have the Working On set correctly. I didn't even touch it after I started to work on the task.

However, after I opened the timesheet (Working on, Edit Timesheet) - it was actually showing two entries for the same case with the 30 minute gap between them.

I really don't know why this happened - it seems I was doing everything as usual, except for the part, that I usually refresh the page before editing the case.
Paulius Maruška Send private email
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
 
 
Here's the relevant section of the timesheet:

Monday 12/15/2008
    
Start     End     Case     Title
10:58 AM     11:00 AM     840     Case title removed
11:43 AM     12:36 PM     840     Case title removed

As you can see, it was, in fact, more than 30 minutes.
Paulius Maruška Send private email
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
 
 
Ok, this isn't a bug.

Without me being aware of this, the lunch time was changed, so fogbugz was auto-stopping and auto-continuing cases...

Sorry for the confusion. I hope I didn't upset anyone. :)
Paulius Maruška Send private email
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
 
 
On the contrary, we're totally cool with this not being a bug!
Rich Armstrong Send private email
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
 
 

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics
 
Powered by FogBugz Bug Tracking and Evidence-Based Scheduling.